Sunday, December 11, 2011

Selfless for Christ

I am a medical student's widow tonight...my husband has been taken from me for a gross anatomy review as he crams for a major exam tomorrow, as well as a national board exam on Wednesday. It's our first night apart since we've been married. :( Although I feel a little lonely here with my Red Box rental, I completely understand he is pulling this all-nighter at school for a few VERY good reasons!

For starters, he is determined to learn everything he can for the sake of his future soldiers and patients. I admire his drive for aspiring to help those who are serving our country. As a future army doctor, his job will be to serve at a military base for active duty military. When he eventually deploys, he will likely be faced with several life or death situations...where every detail counts. He is applying that mentality to his study habits and learning everything he can in case he needs that crucial piece of information sometime in the future.

I also know that he is putting all this time and effort in for the sake of our family's future. How blessed we are to have job security awaiting us after medical school! We want to give our future family as many opportunities as possible and we know that the hard work we put in now will be worth it later.

How selfless! I thought to myself as he asked me "permission" before leaving for school at 8:00 pm for the next 24 hours. Not only is he sacrificing sleep and the comforts of home, but he is thinking about my desires & approval NOW?! Of course I encouraged him to go and I know he will be glad he did around 10 am tomorrow morning at test time. Selflessness is such a God given characteristic I see in my husband. I truly admire it when I see it in others. We could all be a little more selfless this Christmas and remember to celebrate CHRIST, the real reason for the season. The fact that our almighty God from heaven humbled himself in the form of baby born in a barn with a bunch of dirty animals and then went on to die an excruciating death given to criminals on the cross, all for YOU and ME is the ultimate act of selflessness. He was not ashamed for a second to put it all out there for the world see...all for His people. Give thanks by celebrating Jesus and by being selfless for Christ this season (and every season!).

No comments:

Post a Comment