Monday, October 17, 2011

Do Your Words Hurt or Heal?

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me." FALSE.

Words can have the potential to kill on the inside. A sharp tongue can kill another's soul, trust, self confidence, motivation, and send them into a deep dark place. It could take years to reestablish those traits. Forgiving someone for their hurtful words is what Jesus would do and it's something I strive to do every day...and it's never easy. I believe that being self conscious is something you develop through experiences, largely in part to hurtful words of others whose opinions you generally take stock in, such as a parent, a spouse, or a "friend." I am convinced that a self conscious person is not born that way, but becomes eroded over time by internalizing hurtful words and seeing them as the truth.

As a woman, I can say that I've struggled with insecurity and sometimes let it eat away at me until it seeps into my daily thoughts, actions, and even relationships. At times it feels hard to just snap out of it. Why should I care what others think of me when I should be focusing on what God thinks of me?

How do you react to hurtful words? Do you get even, lash out at innocent bystanders, tuck your tail & retreat, or choose forgiveness? Never be afraid to ask God for help in choosing the latter. Although I struggle with it, I find comfort when I ask Him for the STRENGTH to let it go, and the COURAGE to believe in myself and what I know is right. "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” -Deuteronomy 31:6

I encourage you to speak kindly TO and ABOUT others. Refrain from giving your "two cents" when it's not going to help and only hurt. Your contentious statements can have profound affects on others and is quite frankly unattractive. Don't ever forget that what goes around comes around. "Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known." - Matthew 10:26

Be a LIGHT to others! Encourage, support, and speak with a good heart. <3

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that Ashley! Kindness goes a long way and brings great JOY to the heart!

    ReplyDelete